Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Writing Process

For the past week or so I have had what could best be called writer's block when it comes to my thesis. Part of this is because I have been doing other projects, but most of it comes from an intense need to get it done. I often find that on most projects I can think much more clearly if I know I have a deadline, but it is far away. Right now my thesis needs to be mostly complete by the end of this month.

This is crazy.

I have spent the last year and a half working on this thing. I have read a good number of books, many make it into the paper while a good deal of them are only there in spirit only. I have had so many conversations about cool with my advisor, my girlfriend, my friends, my family, and nerdy guys who work for NASA out in New Mexico. I have written upwards of 150 pages on cool, but have junked most of it or at least refined it down to something between 40-50 pages. I apply everything I learn to cool, from game theory to democratic system formation. I may not be cool, but it is always on my mind.

After meeting with my advisor today and bouncing some ideas off of her, I wrote a little today. I will write more as soon as I wake up tomorrow too. I feel like I have a second wind. I might actually make this happen.

No comments: