Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chuck Klosterman and "the illness"

I was really quite sick last night. So sick that as I lie in bed about to pass out I thought, "I need to blog." But I could not for, you see, I was close to falling apart if I had moved.

Lucky for me Mr. Klosterman had already left the state and I was not being called to attend any kind of events in his honor. I would have gone. I just would have been afraid of passing out or worse.

If anything became clear from his visit, it is that Chuck Klosterman is the most transparent person I can even remotely think of. Everything he says and does, he means. Worse yet, he has probably already written down his feelings about most everything he has experienced. As he was telling a story about his first experience with metal he did not provide any kind of side not, he almost told a story verbatim from his book. Either this is just a mundane story that he has talked about way too much or it is just that he is such a good writer that his written words have not filter.

I did learn from him how to talk about popular culture though. Because we experience each new thing as a part of everything we have seen before we cannot judge anything without bias. This bias is not right or wrong so much as it is simply the baggage that we bring with us from all of our past experiences. This means that we can only talk about things from our own perspective. This turns each of us as selves into part of the dialog itself.

I am also glad that he dislikes Family Guy.

No comments: