Thursday, June 12, 2008

Speed Racer

The only time I was ever unsure about this movie was when I first heard about it. At that time all I could think was "who the hell wants to see a movie based on that old cartoon?" It turns out that most everyone should.

I can't say that I have ever really watched the old cartoon, but I have seen enough to know why some people really love it. It is full of fun characters, wacky hi jinx, and enough feel-good moments that the show has soul. And from what I remember the attempts to remake it were pretty much lame. Why should a live action remake be any different?

Well from the first moment I started seeing stills though, I knew it was going to be awesome. The way the everything looked so shinny. And then there were a few promos that showed the high speeds. This was going to prove to be eye candy.

It was more like cocaine for your eyes! Everything was so bright and colorful that by the time you leave the theater you expect the rest of the world should look just like that. While I could do nothing

While I never had the child's desire to jump up and fight with the people on TV, I know why many of my friends did. This movie is pretty much what every kid wants to grow up to be. We all want to be successful, famous, and sticking it to the man. Of course having a loving family and a cute, but confident, girlfriend helps too.

All together you are only going to enjoy this movie if you like anime, video games, and that old feeling of being a kid.

No comments: