Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rilo Kiley Concert @ the Greek Theater in LA

The Greek Theater is an awesome little outdoor stage. I am just baffled as to how it got clearence to be built right next to the nice little residential area it is next to. I recomend that you get there early for parking that doesn't leave you trapped in the stacks of cars they create. To bad very few people seem to have taken this advice for this concert.

The opening acts were awesome and confusing at the same time. First up was a guy named Benji Hughes. If The Dude from The Big Labowski was an awesome lounge singer who could make any girl fall in love with him then he would be Benji. Benji's songs and banter on stage proved to me that in life one might realy be able to be a functioning hippie-ster.

Benji's follow-up, Lavender Diamond, then proved to me that John Hughes-esque characters do exist and are charming in real life. The lead singer was so cute and awkward that even with she hit that awesome high pitched singing that reminded one guy behind me of the Fifth Element, she still rocked.

About this time people seem to start falling in. Now I had already felt like I was out of my element with the number of hipsters surounding me, but by the time LD was done I felt like I was at the small liberal college that all my pretentious friends went to. Every girl there, I know I could have fallen in love with. None of them were particularly attractive, it is just that they all seemed to fit with the sort of "indie-girl" look that makes me think they are in the know in some way. The idea of Rilo Kiley attracting this type of crowd is obvious now but never occured to me before.

Just as I finally got my first wiff of pot smoke RK came on stage. The boys looked sharp and Jenny Lewis looked like the girl every girl in the audience wanted to be. They played a good mix of there newest stuff with plenty of their fan favorates, saving Potions for Foxes for last. Too bad they played it too soon.

If you get a chance to go to any of these people's concerts you totally should. They are very enjoyable.

P.S. I was kind of sad to see that Hannah and I didn't make the cut for the YouTellConcerts.com video review of the show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"About this time people seem to start falling in. Now I had already felt like I was out of my element with the number of hipsters surounding me, but by the time LD was done I felt like I was at the small liberal college that all my pretentious friends went to."

HAHAHA. That's exactly how I felt. Sorry you weren't included in the YouTellConcerts.com review of the show. Next time! -bryan from YTC

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.