Wednesday, February 27, 2008

How to Start Your Own State!

If there is one thing I have always wanted to do, it is this. This is probably one of the biggest reasons I am an International Studies major. Of course, that last statement assumes that I actually ever intended on being an IS major so much as I just stumbled into it thanks to my ability to find lines of study that will only ever pay off if I can write a commercially successful book that provides the answer to a question that we always felt like we should be asking but never got around to.

This dream of mine, I never really saw it as being possible until because of the Republic of China. Damn you, Nixon. But now that Kosovo is trying to break free I feel like I have hope for this again.

I have always thought that I could win the hearts and minds of some Pacific island's people with my charm and oh-so-European and pointy nose. From there we would simply have to become self-sufficient for a period of a few years while I was able to bring in foreign investors looking for a place to set up production. Never would these firms be given permit to run sweatshops or anything, but our GDP per capita would be impressive. After this success I would gain access to the UN where the G-77 would see me and my nation as the leader needed to restore the GA to its place as a world government over the Security Council. Before long my nation would be see as a shining light of prosperity and hope in a cold, cruel world.

Needless to say I would be a beloved dictator.

No comments: